Buffalo Car Accident Lawyer
We Will Fight to Get Compensation You Deserve
If you or a loved one has been injured or someone has died in a car accident due to someone else’s negligence or fault, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses through insurance or a lawsuit.
However, New York laws are complicated, and making mistakes can be costly. It is also difficult to know your rights and how to navigate the system to get the compensation you are entitled to. That’s why it’s important to turn to a Buffalo car accident lawyer who has experience you can trust and the compassion and understanding you need.
When you consider how heavily we rely on automobiles in Western New York, it is not a surprise that car accidents happen at an alarming rate. Car crashes can result in property damage and serious injuries, leaving you to deal with trying to recover while your bills are mounting. You may also be able to work as a result of your injuries.
Fortunately, there is help available from a car accident attorney in Buffalo at Feroleto Law. We believe that when someone’s carelessness causes you harm, you should not have to pay for your injuries. Our Buffalo car accident lawyer strongly holds this belief and will aggressively fight on your behalf.
Our team has been helping people in Buffalo and in locations across upstate New York get compensation after a car crash for more than 40 years. If you or someone you love has been involved in a car accident in the Buffalo area, you probably have many questions about what to do next.
Our car accident attorney at Feroleto Law is here to answer those questions. Call us today at 716-854-0700 to schedule a free consultation and determine the best way to proceed.
Why Choose Us
Feroleto Law is home to experienced and compassionate lawyers who leverage their experience, skills, and knowledge to get results. Our firm’s philosophy is “Clients First,” meaning we give every client the attention, time, and sensitivity they deserve.
Our practice is led by John Feroleto. Born and raised on Buffalo’s west side, Feroleto graduated from the University of Buffalo Law School and The State University of New York (SUNY). He chose to stay in Buffalo to raise his family and start his career. John has an impressive track record of results and is regularly called on by local, state, and national associations in the U.S. and Canada to teach other trial attorneys.
John Feroleto has a deep love for his city; he dedicates much of his time to charities and programs in Buffalo, including:
- The Intern Program: John and his wife, Paula, created this program to give inner-city youths the chance to work as paid interns in law offices throughout Western New York.
- Headway Brain Injury Association: John has served on the Headway Brain Injury Association of Western New York’s Advisory Council.
- Marcena’s Miracles: John sponsors many charitable events such as Marcena’s Miracles Elephant Run, which benefits the Marcena Lozano Donate Life Scholarship Fund. This fund is given to transplant recipients, with priority given to candidates from Western New York State.
Feroleto Law has obtained many impressive results for our personal injury clients. Here are some of the most impressive resolutions:
- $10 million for a worker who was injured by a snapped steel cable: G.S. was in Buffalo when a steel cable snapped and hit him, resulting in blindness and the loss of his legs. The defendants claimed it was an unforeseeable accident. However, attorney John Feroleto found and proved that a machinery defect that the company knew about but failed to fix was responsible for the accident. This led to a settlement of over $10 million, which was one of the biggest settlements in New York state at the time.
- $5 million for a construction worker injured in a fall: R.W. was working at a Buffalo construction site when he was told to haul heavy pieces of equipment on a narrow board 30 feet above the ground. He slipped and fell off the board while trying to carry the equipment. He suffered traumatic brain injuries and multiple fractures, but the defendants said it was his fault for slipping. Attorney John Feroleto demonstrated that there were many violations of basic site safety rules that require safe working surfaces for people working at elevated heights. This resulted in a $5 million settlement.
- $3 million for an injured van passenger: S.B. was riding a van that rolled over in South Carolina. The defendants claimed that fine print in a rental contract would limit the amount S.B. could recover to $25,000. Attorney John Feroleto successfully showed that the contract was invalid, which prompted the defendants to increase the offer to over $3 million.
- $1 million for a broken arm and infection: B.G. was hit by a dump truck when stopped at a red light. As a result of the accident, she had a broken arm that required surgery. After the surgery, the surgical site became infected and required antibiotic treatment. The defendant contended that B.G. only had a broken arm and that her injury required little compensation. Feroleto Law analyzed all aspects of B.G.’s medical records, and our highly qualified medical expert discovered that B.G. had decreased kidney function at the time of the antibiotic treatment and that the antibiotic treatment caused this condition. After we presented this evidence, the defendant increased the compensation by a large amount. Eventually, the case settled for over $1 million.
How We Can Help
At Feroleto Law, our car accident attorney offers extensive courtroom experience, highly professional legal services, and an unparalleled commitment to you, our client.
- Listen to you. We know how important it is to understand the needs of our clients. Perhaps just as important for someone injured in a car accident, the members of the Feroleto Law team are concerned and compassionate and accessible to those we represent.
- Work with you and explain possible solutions: We will prioritize your needs as we explain possible ways to obtain compensation.
- Determine the specifics of your case. We will pinpoint potential defendants, how much your case may be worth, and what is the best approach for getting maximum compensation.
- Investigate to uncover the facts of your car accident, calling on our relationships with accident reconstruction experts, medical specialists, financial experts, and others as needed. We will also gather and preserve important evidence such as videos from surveillance cameras and photos.
- Prepare and file paperwork on and ahead of time. Our preparation is always thorough, and that has been central to the success we’ve had for our clients.
- Handle all communications and negotiations on your behalf. We will talk to the defendants’ insurers and lawyers on your behalf so you can focus on resting and getting your life back together.
- Take your case to court. We will handle all aspects of your trial and ensure you get fair compensation for your losses.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury in a car, truck, or other vehicle accident in the Buffalo area, call us today at 716-854-0700. Our car accident attorneys can help you determine if you have a case and make sure that you are fairly compensated for any damages you have incurred.
Car Accident Client Testimonial
Here is what one of our car accident clients said about her experience with our firm:
“I have known John Feroleto for many years and have always referred people to him for personal injury cases. When I was injured in a car accident, I reached out to him for my own personal injury case. He and his firm were very responsive. They worked hard to get me the best result. I highly recommend Feroleto Law for personal injury cases.”
What Kind of Compensation Can We Help You Get?
Our Attorneys May Win Compensation for Both Your Economic and Non-Economic Losses
When you bring a car accident lawsuit against another party, you may be awarded compensation for both your economic and non-economic damages and losses. Those losses relate to a range of possible monetary and emotional costs.
Economic damages cover your losses and expenses that have a specific dollar value, such as:
- Medical and rehabilitation expenses
- Lost wages and future earning capacity
- Repairing or replacing your vehicle and other property damage
- The cost of changing your home to accommodate disabilities you have suffered due to the accident
- The cost of hiring someone to perform household tasks that you would have performed were it not for your injury.
Non-economic damages are not for monetary expenses. Instead, they compensate you for the negative effects of the accident on you and your family, including:
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium and companionship
- Wrongful death, which is like a personal injury case on behalf of a deceased person who can no longer bring it, often requires the expertise of a Buffalo wrongful death lawyer.
- Permanent injury or partial disability.
Punitive damages – In some rare cases, New York courts will also award punitive damages. These are for situations where there was extreme negligence, recklessness, or egregious or immoral conduct. The purpose is to punish this behavior and discourage such behavior from happening again.
How Much Can I Get in My Car Accident Case?
There are a wide range of settlement awards you may receive in a successful car accident case, from thousands up to millions of dollars. The amount awarded would depend on the individual situation and the factors involved, such as:
- The severity of the injuries
- Whether injuries will be permanent and require long-term care
- The age and earning potential and family situation of the victims
- The value of the destroyed property
- Whether death is involved
- The inclination of the judge, jury, and jurisdiction where the case takes place
- The skill of your attorney.
While no one can guarantee a specific amount, our car accident attorneys will consider all factors and determine what would be a reasonable settlement and will negotiate accordingly.
During your free consultation about your car accident, we will give you our opinion on your case’s chances of success.
Using our many years of experience representing auto accident victims, we will assess your situation and build a thorough case on your behalf to get the compensation you are entitled to.
Our Car Accident Attorneys Must Prove Negligence
Proving Negligence is an Essential Part of Winning Your Lawsuit. Our Car Accident Attorneys in Buffalo Know How.
In any car accident lawsuit, your attorney must be able to prove that the party you are suing, called the defendant, was negligent and caused the accident and that you suffered damages as a result. Legally, this means proving the following elements:
- Duty — The defendant owed you a duty of care.
- Breach — The defendant breached that duty.
- Cause — The breach caused your injuries.
- Damages — The injuries resulted in actual damages.
All drivers who get behind the wheel have a duty of care to drive in a manner that a reasonably prudent person would in similar circumstances. Examples of breaches of their duty of care while behind the wheel include speeding through a red light or driving drunk, drowsy, or distracted. To prove that your injuries resulted in damages, you would have to document your losses caused by the injuries, and they would have to go beyond the cost of insurance reimbursement.
In addition, there may be multiple parties responsible for the accident, in addition to the other driver. For example, the manufacturer of a defective auto part that failed or a road repair company that left debris on the road may also be at fault for the accident. Our Buffalo car accident lawyers will research the situation and ensure that every potentially liable party is named in your lawsuit, as they all may have insurance and assets.
When Your Injuries Are Caused by a Negligent Driver, Our Car Accident Lawyers Can Help Prove It
Vehicle crashes are almost always the result of human error. People often make mistakes or are reckless behind the wheel, and when their mistakes or recklessness causes someone else serious injury, they can be held accountable for the harm they’ve caused.
Our car accident attorneys can help prove negligence with the following steps. We will:
- Investigate what happened and gather evidence such as photos or surveillance or traffic camera videos
- Interview eyewitnesses
- Examine police, ambulance, and medical records and reports
- Hire experts to reconstruct the accident, testify as to what happened, and prove the extent of your injuries and what your past and projected future expenses may be
Why Would I Need a Car Accident Lawyer in a No-Fault State?
New York state has a “no-fault” law. It requires insurance companies to pay for certain accident-related expenses, regardless of who was at fault in a car crash. These laws are helpful for insured drivers because they guarantee a certain level of coverage.
Unfortunately, this doesn’t mean that no disputes will arise or that dealing with an insurer is going to be easy. New York’s no-fault law provides that an insurer must pay up to $50,000 for accident-related medical expenses, lost earnings, and incidental costs caused by the crash. Often, though, in a serious car accident, the bills far exceed the no-fault limit. Additionally, when the insurer’s doctor says that an accident victim has recovered, the insurer can issue denials of payment of medical bills and lost wages.
Our buffalo car accident lawyer knows how to navigate the system to get the full compensation that you deserve. Our team has the experience necessary to take on insurers. We will fight aggressively on your behalf to get you justice.
Insurance companies are concerned with their bottom line and have high-powered lawyers working for them who are known for using aggressive tactics to deny or delay payment. You need an equally competent and aggressive auto accident lawyer to stand up to them on your behalf. Our attorneys are familiar with their tactics and know how to negotiate and combat them to get you a fair settlement.
Our Car Accident Attorney Can Get You More than Just the No-fault Benefits
No-fault benefits do not cover claims for pain and suffering. Plus, they only apply to your monetary losses, such as medical expenses and property damage. However, our Buffalo car accident lawyers, also known as Buffalo personal injury lawyer, know that in certain situations you can go beyond no-fault benefits and sue a negligent driver in a personal injury case.
. These situations include:
- When your medical expenses and other economic losses are more than the $50,000 of benefits under no-fault insurance
- If the person at fault does not have insurance complying with the New York State minimum provisions
- If your injuries are considered to be “serious.” Serious injuries may include:
- Disfigurement or scarring
- Permanent impairment of a body organ or limb
- Substantial limitation of a body function or system
- Substantively full disability for 90 days after the accident
- Bone fractures or broken bones
- When the injury results in death or loss of a fetus.
If your vehicle suffered major damage, if serious injuries or fatalities occurred, or if the insurer fails to pay you benefits promptly, you will need an experienced car accident attorney to represent your interests in court.
Common Questions Asked of Our Buffalo Car Accident Lawyer
Being the victim of a car accident can be traumatizing and stressful, especially if you suffered severe injuries. As a result, you may have a lot of questions about your future and what you can do to obtain justice. You may also have a lot of questions if a loved one has been hurt or died due to a car accident.
Here are our answers to frequently asked questions about car accidents:
What if I did something to contribute to the car accident?
If you contributed to the car accident, we can still help you get a verdict or settlement — it will just be reduced by your percentage of fault. For example, if your case involved a settlement of $100,000, and you are found to be 10 percent at fault, we can help you recover $90,000.
Are there time limits for filing a car accident lawsuit?
In New York, you generally have three years from the day of the accident to file a lawsuit. This time limit is called a statute of limitations. However, in some situations very short time limits apply, such as suing a municipality or agency. Our car accident lawyers can make sure all paperwork and court filings are done on time.
Should I talk directly to insurance adjusters?
No. Insurance adjusters will try to get you to settle for as little as possible, so your chances of getting a fair settlement are greater with legal representation than if you attempt to negotiate with the insurer yourself. Tell your adjuster to talk to your car accident lawyer and let us handle everything.
What injuries are the most common in car crashes?
Injuries in car crashes range from mild sprains to serious injuries that cause permanent disability and death. Here are just a few injuries that people suffer in auto accidents:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal damage
- Wrongful death.
Should I seek medical attention even if I feel fine?
Yes, you should seek medical attention after a car accident. Many auto accident injuries are internal and not immediately apparent.
What should I do if the responsible driver fled the scene?
If the driver who hit you fled the scene, write down any details you recall about the car and the driver. You should also file a police report, call your insurer, and talk to a car accident lawyer.
You may have many other questions about your car accident, injuries, and potential compensation. Talk to Feroleto Law’s experienced lawyers to learn more about your legal options.
How Do I Get Help from a Buffalo Car Accident Lawyer at Feroleto Law Firm?
First, don’t delay. Talk to us as soon as possible so we can start working on your car accident case while the evidence is fresh and witnesses can be found.
To schedule your free and confidential consultation, call Feroleto Law at 716-854-0700 today. Let us take care of the necessary legal processes while you focus on your recovery. Our car accident attorneys will dedicate themselves to ensuring that you will receive all the compensation you are entitled to under the law. If we don’t win, you don’t owe us a legal fee.
Attorney John Feroleto
Attorney John Feroleto understands the value of hard work. He is known in the community and by his peers for his willingness to work and go the extra mile. Other lawyers often ask John to handle their trial matters to maximize clients’ recovery. Trial lawyers know who the best trial lawyers are. He was also named Trial Attorney of the Year in 2012 by the Western New York Affiliate of New York State Trial Lawyers Association. [ Attorney Bio ]