The most popular mode of travel in the U.S. is the automobile. It is an icon of American life, one that we rely on in every facet of our lives. We drive cars to work, to school, to run errands, to travel to vacation destinations, and for countless other purposes. When you consider how heavily we rely on automobiles, it is not a surprise that auto accidents happen at an alarming rate.
On average, more than six million traffic accidents take place per year in the U.S., causing around 35,000 fatalities and more than 2.5 million injuries. In Erie County, New York, alone, in 2015 there were 17,548 crashes, including 43 fatal crashes and 6,660 crashes resulting in personal injuries, per the New York Department of Motor Vehicles.
If you or someone you love has been involved in a car accident in the Buffalo Niagara Region, you probably have many questions about what to do next. The car accident attorneys at Feroleto Law are here to answer those questions. Call us today at (716) 854-0700.
Why would I need a lawyer in a no-fault state?
New York state has a “no-fault” law. It requires insurance companies to pay for certain accident-related expenses regardless of who was at fault in a car crash. These laws are helpful for insured drivers because they guarantee a certain level of coverage.
Unfortunately, this doesn’t mean that no disputes will arise or that dealing with an insurance company is going to be easy. New York’s no-fault law provides an insurance company must pay up to $50,000 for accident-related medical expenses, lost earnings and incidental costs caused by the crash. But often, in a serious car accident, the bills far exceed the no-fault limit. Additionally, when the insurance company’s doctor says that an accident victim has recovered, the insurer can issue denials.
For more than 30 years, Feroleto Law has been helping car accident victims get the benefits they deserve. Insurance companies are known for using aggressive tactics to deny or delay payment. You need an equally competent and aggressive auto accident lawyer to stand up to them on your behalf. Call Feroleto Law at (716) 854-0700 today for a free evaluation of your Buffalo car accident claim.
When your injuries are caused by a negligent driver…
Vehicle crashes are almost always the result of human error. People often make mistakes or are reckless behind the wheel, and when their mistakes or recklessness causes someone else serious injury, they can be held accountable for the harm they’ve caused.
When a driver is careless and injuries another person, they are considered “negligent” in their driving. Some common examples of negligence behind the wheel include:
- Distracted drivers – Drivers have a responsibility to pay attention to the road ahead. When someone texts, talks on a cell phone, or uses a mobile device while driving, they are much more likely to cause a vehicle crash. Fact: Every day in the United States, more than 8 people are killed and 1,161 people are injured in distracted driving-related crashes.
- Drunk drivers – Driver impairment is one of the biggest dangers on our roads. Even a couple of drinks can greatly inhibit a driver’s performance and lead to serious injury or death. Fact: Someone is injured by a drunk driver every two minutes in the United States. Every day, 27 people die in drunk driving crashes in the United States.
- Drowsy drivers – A study from AAA found that drowsy drivers are just as dangerous as drunk drivers. As many as one-third of drivers say they get behind the wheel even when they find it difficult to stay awake. Fact: Drivers who have had less than four hours of sleep are up to 12 times as likely to be involved in a crash.
- Reckless drivers – Reckless driving can include any number of dangerous driving practices, including speeding, improper lane changes and failing to yield or stop at a traffic sign. Fact: Over one-quarter of vehicle crashes is caused by speeding.
What injuries are the most common in vehicle crashes?
Injuries in vehicle crashes range from mild sprains to serious injuries that cause permanent disability and death. Here are just a few injuries that people suffer in crashes:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal damage
- Wrongful death
What kind of damages could I recover in court?
Using our many years of experience representing car accident victims, we will assess your situation and build a thorough case on your behalf. If you have a viable case, our attorneys will make certain that you are properly reimbursed for:
- Current and future medical bills
- Current and future lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- permanent injury or partial disability
How much will it cost me?
At Feroleto Law, we charge a legal fee only if your case is won at trial or is settled out of court. The initial consultation is always free, so please don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with us at our Buffalo office today.
Why trust Feroleto Law?
At Feroleto Law, we offer extensive courtroom experience, highly professional legal services and an unparalleled commitment to you, our client. We will investigate to uncover the facts of your accident, calling on our relationships with accident reconstructionists, medical specialists, financial experts or other experts, as needed. Our preparation is always thorough, and that has been central to the success we’ve had for our clients. We also know how important it is to understand the needs of our clients
Perhaps just as important for someone injured in a car accident, the members of the Feroleto Law team are concerned and compassionate and accessible to those we represent. Here is what one of our car accident clients said about his experience with our firm:
Car Accident Safety Tips
Depending on its severity, a car accident can cause confusion and disorientation, mild or severe injuries and even fatalities. It can be very difficult to remember what to do in the moments following a car accident.
Whether you are a resident or a tourist who has been involved in a car accident in the Buffalo Niagara Region, you should follow the following steps.
- Move your car to the side of the road – if possible, move it to safety so no other vehicles will collide with it.
- Call an ambulance – if you think that you or your passenger has been injured, you should err on the side of caution and call 911 to get an ambulance right away.
- Obtain as much information about the other party as possible – make sure you get driver’s license numbers, insurance information and vehicle information for all parties involved.
- Identify any potential witnesses – if anyone near the accident scene saw what happened, ask him or her to stay until the police have arrived. The witnesses you find could play a key role in any personal injury lawsuits that take place in the future.
- Take photographs of the accident scene – if you have a camera on you or can get access to one, take multiple photos of the accident scene. Focus these pictures on the damage to the vehicles, the road signs present and any skid marks on the road. Photograph details of damage and injuries as well as more panoramic views of the area that show the relationships between vehicles, intersections, road signs, etc. These pictures could be used to help prove your case if a lawsuit is filed.
- Call an experienced lawyer – if you have been injured, a personal injury lawyer is qualified to advise you of your legal rights and make sure you don’t do anything that could jeopardize your right to file a lawsuit in the future. Most car accident attorneys only charge legal fees if the case is won or settled out of court.
- Schedule a doctor appointment – even if you don’t think you’re injured, you should make an appointment to rule out any internal trauma. Some injury symptoms aren’t evident until many days or weeks following a car accident. Whiplash injuries are a prime example of this.
- Focus on your recovery – the legal experts at Feroleto Law can take care of the necessary legal processes while you focus on your recovery. Our car accident attorneys will dedicate themselves to ensuring that you will receive all the compensation you are entitled to under the law. We only charge a fee if your case is won or settled out of court.
If you or a loved one has suffered a car accident injury in the Western New York area we invite you to contact us today. Our car accident attorneys can help you determine if you have a case and make sure that you are fairly compensated for any damages you have incurred.
How do I get started?
To schedule your free consultation, call Feroleto Law at (716) 854-0700 or fill out our online contact form. Your inquiry will be held in strict confidence.