Serving Buffalo, New York
In today’s world the sheer number of consumer products that one comes into daily contact with is incalculable. Generally speaking, most products are safe and perform the way they should. A defective product, however, can be quite dangerous, causing injuries and even death. When this takes place, the victims and their families can and should file a product liability lawsuit against the designer, manufacturer and/or distributor of the product to recover compensation for:
- Current and future medical bills
- Current and future lost wages
- Pain, suffering and disability
Common Defective Products
Common defective products that have spawned notable product liability and class action lawsuits in the past include:
- Defective automobiles, tires, airbags and safety belts
- Defective children’s toys and safety equipment such as car seats
- Dangerous prescription drugs
- Flammable fabrics
- Dietary supplements
- Welding rods
- Foods from grocery stores and fast food chains
- Medical devices such as pacemakers
- Electrical products like space heaters
- Industrial machines
- Construction equipment
There are three ways by which consumer products like the ones listed above can be considered defective:
- Design defects: flaws in the product’s conceptual design
- Manufacturing defects: defects that occur during the manufacturing process
- Marketing Defects: flaws in the instructions, warning labels or product description related to the potential or latent dangers of the product
If you or a loved one in the Buffalo Niagara Region has been injured by a defective product, we invite you to contact the defective product lawyers of John Feroleto Attorneys at Law today. We can assess the details of your case at a free consultation and determine the best course of legal action to take.
If a lawsuit is recommended, we will devote all of our resources to building a case on your behalf and litigating against the manufacturer or distributor responsible for your injury and the insurance companies that represent them.
Defective Products: What to Do
Who can be held liable in a defective product lawsuit?
It is estimated that as many as 33 million injuries and 30 thousand fatalities result from defective products each year. If you or a loved one in the Niagara or Buffalo, New York area has been injured by a defective product, you should follow the instructions below to help preserve evidence and ensure that you can seek legal retribution.
- If a serious injury has occurred, you should call 911 right away to get medical help.
- In order to document what happened, write down exactly what you were doing when the injury occurred and what actions you took directly preceding the event.
- If you were injured by a product that is not a consumable (such as a kitchen appliance, heater, etc.), take pictures of the product and the injured area of your body.
- If you believe you’ve been injured by a dangerous drug, you should stop taking it immediately, have your health evaluated by a medical professional, and request a copy of all of your medical records related to the injury.
- Retain all packaging and documents associated with the product.
- Try to gather as much information about the product as you can, including the name of the manufacturer, model name and number, place and date of purchase, and its serial number.
- Store the product in a safe place and do not modify or change it.
- Obtain the name, address and telephone number of any witnesses to the injury.
- Do not discuss the incident with anyone and do not give any written or recorded statements about it until you speak with a personal injury lawyer.
- Contact the defective product lawyers at John Feroleto Attorneys at Law to discuss your legal options.
If you have been injured by a defective product or dangerous drug, you should contact our experienced defective product attorney today. We have the expertise, resources and dedication necessary to stand up for your rights and successfully fight the manufacturer, distributor and their insurance companies.
For a free case evaluation, please contact our Buffalo, New York office today. We work on a contingency basis, so you will never pay us legal fees up front.
To learn more about defective products, please see our Tips for Choosing a Product Liability Lawyer.
Categories of Defective Products
Most products are safe, but many products have hidden defects not obvious to the consumer. An example would be children’s toys that are still being sold with high levels of lead or other heavy metals which cause brain injury and neurological problems in children.
Some products which injure and cause death could be made much safer with little or no expense. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is a governmental agency which reviews safety problems. Unfortunately, the agency is severely understaffed.
Every month the CPSC issues recalls of many dangerous products. Many dangerous and defective products go unreported and are never recalled.
Some categories of commonly defective products are:
- Children’s toys
- Children’s products, not including toys
- Household products
- Outdoor products
- Sports and recreation products
- Construction Equipment
Many corporations put safety first, but many will not fix an easily correctable danger or hazard without a lawsuit or exposure of the defect.
You can check on recalls by going to the consumer product safety commission site. We also frequently publish blogs about the latest product recalls affecting New York state citizens as well as the rest of the country.
If you or a loved one has been injured due to a product which may be defective call the defective product attorneys at Feroleto Law. We have experts to review cases, access to industry codes, standards and other resources. Our attorneys have extensive experience and have been highly successful in recovering from corporations who make defective and dangerous products or equipment. Call (716) 854-0700 or contact us today!
Department of Agriculture:
- Consumer Product Safety Commission:
- Food and Drug Administration:
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
”Very professional, respectful and understanding. They will stay with you from the beginning all the way to the end! Very satisfied and thankful for everything!” – Cisco Cordero (Google Review)
Attorney John Feroleto
Attorney John Feroleto understands the value of hard work. He is known in the community and by his peers for his willingness to work and go the extra mile. Other lawyers often ask John to handle their trial matters to maximize clients’ recovery. Trial lawyers know who the best trial lawyers are. He was also named Trial Attorney of the Year in 2012 by the Western New York Affiliate of New York State Trial Lawyers Association. [ Attorney Bio ]