Buffalo Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Our Experienced Attorneys Can Help You with a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit
Medical professionals such as surgeons, physicians, nurses and dentists in the Buffalo Niagara Region are some of most revered members of our community for good reason. In Western New York, we are truly lucky to have a thriving and envied healthcare industry. We trust them to treat our illnesses and we rely on them to care for us and for our loved ones in times of extreme vulnerability and weakness. Unfortunately though, there are rare instances when medical professionals make critical and avoidable errors that result in injury or death. When these incidents do occur it is critical to file a medical malpractice lawsuit in order to recover compensation for the damages incurred by negligent medical practice.
Statistical Breakdown and Types of Medical Malpractice
Doctors, nurses and all other medical professionals are, of course, required by law to use a reasonable amount of discretion in providing health care. Because most of us are only familiar with medical professionals who are always well within the boundaries of the law, it is astonishing that 90,000 people per year are killed or injured due to medical errors.
The two most common forms of medical malpractice are the misdiagnosis of a medical condition and the mistreatment of a medical condition. Here are some common examples of each:
- Misdiagnosis of a medical condition: this could be the failure to diagnose cancer or another life-threatening disease when the symptoms and signs of the disease are present and should have been detected.
- Mistreatment of a medical condition: this could be something such as the failure to perform an emergency C-section when a pregnant woman or baby is in distress. The consequences of this unacceptable error could be a life-long disease such as Cerebral Palsy.
If you think that you or a loved one in the Buffalo Niagara Region has been the victim of medical malpractice, please call or email the medical malpractice attorneys at Feroleto Law today to schedule your initial consultation.
Our medical malpractice lawyers have the experience necessary to:
- Coordinate a thorough investigation
- Find the evidence and witnesses necessary for a lawsuit
- Have your medical records interpreted by experts in the field
- Build a solid case on your behalf
Medical Malpractice Lawsuits
Since medical malpractice cases are some of the most complicated personal injury cases to prove and win, it is virtually impossible to do so without a highly trained and experienced medical malpractice lawyer. There are many nuances to this type of case that make an attorney’s experience a vital factor in the eventual outcome of the lawsuit. Only a veteran medical malpractice attorney and his or her legal team can effectively:
- Listen to the circumstances surrounding your case and determine if there is justification for a lawsuit
- Examine and interpret the medical records to find out if they offer supporting evidence
- Know how to extract critical information from the physician and his or her co-workers concerning your treatment
- Research and find previous cases which constitute precedents (cases which resemble the present case) and determine whether they resulted in successful lawsuits
- Find medical experts who can and will testify on your behalf
- Represent you in court against high-powered defense lawyers hired by the physician and/or medical facility in question
Cerebral palsy is a life-long illness that is characterized by a loss of nerve function and movement. It is normally caused by traumatic brain injuries that occur during or near the time of birth and these injuries are, regrettably, often the result of negligent medical practice.
Symptoms of Cerebral Palsy
It can be difficult to definitively diagnose cerebral palsy until the nervous system matures, but some of the early symptoms that may be recognizable are as follows:
- A very loose or stiff body posture
- Problems swallowing
- Weak, shrill crying
- Excess sleeping
Medical Missteps that Can Lead to Cerebral Palsy
There are many medical errors that can take place before, during, or right after birth that can cause cerebral palsy. What many of these missteps have in common is that they create a lack of oxygen flow to the baby’s brain which, in turn, can permanently damage the nervous system. Here are some of the most common medical mistakes:
- Failure to respond quickly enough to health conditions in an expectant mother that could harm the unborn baby
- Failure to detect the umbilical cord wrapped around the baby’s neck
- Failure to perform a cesarean section when the baby or mother is in a state of distress
- Failure to get the baby out of the birth canal quickly enough
- Failure to monitor the baby’s health following birth, including detecting and treating jaundice, seizures and meningitis
In addition to the mental and physical disabilities cerebral palsy patients must learn to live with, the families of these victims must find a way to pay for the medical bills that average more than $900,000 in treatment costs over a lifetime.
The lawyers who specialize in cerebral palsy cases at Feroleto Law can help you conduct a thorough investigation of your case. Our experienced attorneys can ensure that, if your child’s cerebral palsy was caused by negligent medical practice, the responsible party is held financially accountable for your medical expenses and suffering.
Medical malpractice cases can also be extremely expensive to litigate due to the enormous amount of information that must be researched and presented. These cases are so costly because they are extremely labor intensive. There are numerous people from varying professions who will work on the case, including the legal team and expert witnesses. For this reason, victims would be best suited to hire confident and experienced medical malpractice firms such as John Feroleto Attorneys at Law who will work on a contingency basis.
If you are located in the Buffalo Niagara Region, and would like to speak with an experienced medical malpractice lawyer about your case, please contact us today. We take a great deal of pride and comfort in successfully trying medical malpractice lawsuits and look forward to serving you. No recovery, no fee.
Attorney John Feroleto
Attorney John Feroleto understands the value of hard work. He is known in the community and by his peers for his willingness to work and go the extra mile. Other lawyers often ask John to handle their trial matters to maximize clients’ recovery. Trial lawyers know who the best trial lawyers are. He was also named Trial Attorney of the Year in 2012 by the Western New York Affiliate of New York State Trial Lawyers Association. [ Attorney Bio ]