Construction Injury Attorney: John Feroleto

Construction workers are faced with exceptionally hazardous work conditions. Due to the exceptional hazards, specific safety laws and industry regulations protect workers on these job sites. If you or a loved one was injured at a construction site you should contact an attorney experienced in handling construction accidents immediately.

It is important to contact a construction accident attorney promptly as job sites change quickly and evidence must be preserved. Your lawyer can determine responsible parties. This is not always obvious. He or she can look to the safety regulations to show how the worksite did not comply with minimum safety standards, if that was the case.

The Buffalo workplace injury attorneys at Feroleto Law operate on a no-recovery, no-fee basis, meaning that you don’t pay us unless we win your case. Call: 716-854-0700

Injured @ Work? Hopefully You Did This...

If you suffer a workplace injury, as a start you should...
  • If possible, identify the hospital you wish to go to. If you feel you may be seriously injured, in Western New York and Buffalo, New York you can suggest the Erie County Medical Center (ECMC), as it is the level I Trauma Center in Western New York;
  • Notify your supervisor or union representative;
  • Write a description of exactly what occurred and what you were doing when you were injured. If your injury involves a fall from a ladder or scaffold, write down what safety devices you were provided, the supervisors on the job and who set up the equipment and how it was set up. Even if you set up the equipment, you should contact a construction accident attorney;
  • Take or have photos of the accident site and the equipment, preferably the day of your injury;
  • Write the names of individuals working that day. You may not know the names of all of the individuals, especially if they were working for subcontractors or coworkers working for your employer. Even if you don't know the names, write a description of the workers, as they may be identified later through records; and
  • Even if you feel you may be okay later, or will just shake it off, go to a hospital emergency room or see your family doctor. Sometimes, in a worksite injury, with adrenaline flowing an injured worker thinks or hopes he will be okay, but after hours and days pain injuries persist and often get worse. You don't need the insurance company or the insurance company doctor claiming you weren't injured at the job site, because you didn't seek medical care that day.

Two Types of Claims

An Injured Worker may have both a Workers’ Compensation claim and a pain and suffering claim.

Not always, but often, a worker injured at a construction site has both a workers compensation claim and a pain suffering claim. This is one reason why, after an injury on the job, you should contact a lawyer experienced in handling construction accident claims and lawsuits.

If you have a work related injury, you should recover Worker's Compensation benefits to cover your medical expenses and a portion of your lost wages. However, your lost wage payments while you are disabled will likely be less than your regular pay. Inadequate payments by the workers compensation insurance carrier can cause tremendous hardship on the injured worker and his or her family.

A claim called a third party claim can provide additional money recovery to the injured worker.


Understanding Third Party Claims

A third party claim is simply a claim against a company or individual other than your employer.

It can be against a property owner, general contractor, subcontractor, sub – subcontractor, dangerous or defective equipment provider or installer, or project manager. New York Labor Law requires property owners and general contractors to provide a safe workplace. This makes sense because they are in the best position to hire responsible contractors. Many contractors provide safe worksites for their employees. However, some contractors and subcontractors try to get the job done as cheaply as possible and cut corners on safety. A worker injured on the job may have a claim against the property owner, general contractor, subcontractor or other company. The personal injury attorney handling jobsite accidents can help you identify if you have a third-party claim.

As workers compensation benefits are often inadequate, disabled workers and their families often go into debt, even when they are spending wisely, trying to buy food and make necessary payments only, such as a mortgage, rent or car payments. Often the workers credit is ruined. He or she may face foreclosure, eviction, repossession of his or her car, making it nearly impossible to take care of children, or attend medical or therapy appointments. Some injured workers may never be able to return to a construction job again.

The third party claim can provide significantly more than workers compensation benefits.

Compensation in a Third Party Claim

An injured worker may recover compensation for...

Talk with a Lawyer Experienced in Construction Accident Cases

You can have a no obligation, free of charge consultation with an attorney with extensive experience in construction accident and jobsite injury cases with the injury attorneys at Feroleto Law. John Feroleto, teaches construction accident law to other attorneys, has over 35 years of experience handling injury cases, and construction accident lawsuits, with multimillion dollar recoveries for his clients and their families. Call 716-854-0700 for a no obligation completely confidential consultation.

If there is no recovery there is no legal fee to you.
If you retain Feroleto Law, you will have open access to your attorney; we will fight for you. We will be in your corner.

Use Our Online Contact Form