Truck Accidents Are Not the Same as Big Car Accidents
Many attorneys who handle injury cases treat truck accident cases as big car accident cases. This may be because trucks and cars are motor vehicles.
- However, there are critical differences between a truck accident and car crashes.
- Commercial vehicles such as tractor-trailers, eighteen wheelers, dump trucks and other trucks are governed by specific federal safety regulations. Violation of any of these regulations goes to proof of negligence.
- You should have an experienced truck accident lawyer who understands and can address the very specific issues to recognize, look for and determine. It is more than a question of who hit whom.
Specific laws apply to truck accidents.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety administration provides minimum required safety rules for trucks in interstate traffic. There are very specific instructions for trucking companies and drivers including daily inspections, weight limitations, hours of service, actions when there is inclement weather and much more.
- As there is no reason most people would be familiar with all of the regulations you should contact an experienced truck accident lawyer while evidence still exists.
- Records from GPS systems exist for a very short time.
- The company and driver are required to keep hours of service logs for six months. Even when there is an accident a company and driver often dispose of logs as soon as the six month period expires.
- There may be site and roadway evidence which is important. Conditions can change quickly at the scene.
- These may be other reasons specific to your case why you should contact an experienced New York truck accident lawyer promptly.
Specific notice requirements apply to New York truck accidents.
If you do not complete your application for no-fault benefits (blue) within 30 days you may be denied coverage.
- You are required to file an accident report with the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles if there is damage in excess of $1,000.00 or you may be ticketed.
- If you are employed you need to file your application for New York State Disability Benefits within 30 days.
- There are other notice requirements if you have SUM coverage (blue) or Additional PIP coverage (blue).
Trucks are dangerous.
Tractor-trailers, eighteen wheelers, dump trucks and other big rigs are dangerous. Some weigh more than 80,000 pounds. Your car is likely to weigh between 2,000 and 5,000 pounds. Because of the much greater weight of these truck compared to your car truck accidents are more dangerous than accidents with another car.
- Too many truck crashes occur because of driver fatigue, safety violations, improper use of space or a driver using one of the many electronic devices inside of a truck cab such as a GPS device, computer or cell phone.
- Securing and studying records associated with the truck and its communication devices, driver logs, repair records is important in determining negligence.
- An experienced truck accident attorney can deal with these matters for you.
- The attorneys at Feroleto Law have the experience and knowledge to deal with New York insurance questions, Federal Safety Regulations, notice requirements and know what to look for in records and investigation to secure a fair resolution for the harms to you, a family member or friend.
John Feroleto knows truck cases. He was elected to head the national Interstate Truck Litigation Group of the American Association for Justice and is a past chair of the group. If you have a question on a New York truck accident you can complete our contact form or call (716) 854-0700.