Car Accident – Safety Tips
Serving Western New York
Depending on its severity, a car accident can cause confusion and disorientation, mild or severe injuries and even fatalities. It can be very difficult to remember what to do in the moments following a car accident.
Whether you are a resident or a tourist who has been involved in a car accident in the Buffalo Niagara Region, you should follow the following steps.
- Move your car to the side of the road – if possible, move it to safety so no other vehicles will collide with it.
- Call an ambulance – if you think that you or your passenger has been injured, you should err on the side of caution and call 911 to get an ambulance right away.
- Obtain as much information about the other party as possible – make sure you get driver’s license numbers, insurance information and vehicle information for all parties involved.
- Identify any potential witnesses – if anyone near the accident scene saw what happened, ask him or her to stay until the police have arrived. The witnesses you find could play a key role in any personal injury lawsuits that take place in the future.
- Take photographs of the accident scene – if you have a camera on you or can get access to one, take multiple photos of the accident scene. Focus these pictures on the damage to the vehicles, the road signs present and any skid marks on the road. Photograph details of damage and injuries as well as more panoramic views of the area that show the relationships between vehicles, intersections, road signs, etc. These pictures could be used to help prove your case if a lawsuit is filed.
- Call an experienced lawyer – if you have been injured, a personal injury lawyer is qualified to advise you of your legal rights and make sure you don’t do anything that could jeopardize your right to file a lawsuit in the future. Most car accident attorneys only charge legal fees if the case is won or settled out of court.
- Schedule a doctor appointment – even if you don’t think you’re injured, you should make an appointment to rule out any internal trauma. Some injury symptoms aren’t evident until many days or weeks following a car accident. Whiplash injuries are a prime example of this.
- Focus on your recovery – the legal experts at Feroleto Law can take care of the necessary legal processes while you focus on your recovery. Our car accident attorneys will dedicate themselves to ensuring that you will receive all the compensation you are entitled to under the law. We only charge a fee if your case is won or settled out of court.
If you or a loved one has suffered a car accident injury in the Western New York area we invite you to contact us today. Our car accident attorneys can help you determine if you have a case and make sure that you are fairly compensated for any damages you have incurred.